[mrtg] Re: mrtg problem with some interfaces...

Roth, Gabrielle gabrielle.roth at xo.com
Thu Dec 20 02:43:18 MET 2001

Just a guess:  if your router was a Cisco (that's all I have experience
with, so I don't know if this happens on other makes or not) and you don't
have 'ifindex persist' configured, when you rebooted the router it may have
renumbered the interfaces, and mrtg has noticed this and won't poll them
anymore.

(See
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios121/121newft/121
t/121t5/dt5ifidx.htm for info about ifIndex persist.  We won't get into a
discussion about Cisco's compliance with certain RFCs here.)

Have you checked the error messages from mrtg?  It might be sending you
something like "can't match such-and-such an interface".  That would be a
good clue.

There are various ways to 'fix' this, depending on what's actually wrong.

-gabrielle
"Five out of four people have a problem with math."