[mrtg] Re: strange 'no response received' error

Paul C. Williamson pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Fri Dec 28 20:23:37 MET 2001

Weird...when I get a timeout error, it's coming from:

/usr/local/mrtg-2/bin/mrtg line 1488.

What is stranhge is that yours is going down to /usr/local/mrtg/bin (I don't have
this, I have /usr/local/mrtg-2/bin), then back up one directory to /usr/local/mrtg/,
then down into lib/mrtg2/.  Is there a /usr/local/mrtg directory, or is it /usr/local/mrtg-2 ?  Is there any place to set that???

Paul

>>> "Roth, Gabrielle" <gabrielle.roth at xo.com> 12/28/01 02:13PM >>>

I recently upgraded to mrtg + rrd + 14all (major kudos to Tobi and Rainer
and Paul for the help docs!).

I'm getting one really weird error that I can't troubleshoot past a certain
point.

It's the old familiar:
SNMP Error:
no response received
SNMPv1_Session (remote host: "router" [ip.address.of.router].161)
                  community: "public"
                 request ID: 548025431
                PDU bufsize: 8000 bytes
                    timeout: 2s
                    retries: 5
                    backoff: 1)
 at /usr/local/mrtg/bin/../lib/mrtg2/SNMP_util.pm line 450
SNMPGET Problem for ifDescr.1 ifInOctets.1 ifDescr.1 ifOutOctets.1 on
public at router:
 at ../../bin/mrtg line 1485

Here's the weirdness:
- cfgmaker picks up this interface with no errors.
- I can run a cli snmpget against all the oids in the error message, no
problem.
- The first time I run mrtg against this cfg, I don't get any errors.
- If I delete the .ok file, then run mrtg against this cfg, I don't get any
errors.
Weirdest of all:
the graph and rrd are still being updated.

???

I've checked the parts of the code referenced in the error, and still being
sort of a perl newbie, I'm completely confused as to what could be causing
this.  (Of course I am also suffering from a major brainlock caused by
sendmail...)  Anybody have any ideas about where to start troubleshooting
this/how to fix?

-gabrielle
"Five out of four people have a problem with math."