[mrtg] weird 'noSuchName' error

Arthur Dimitrelis Arthur.Dimitrelis at tip.CSIRO.AU
Fri Feb 2 06:12:31 MET 2001

Hi everyone,

I'm having problems getting mrtg to collect data from a real time flow
monitor over an SNMP interface.

The problem is this:
When I do: snmpwalk -p 10000 meterIPAddress readCommunityName .explicitOID
I get:
OID.1 = Counter64: 1
OID.2 = Counter64: 199
OID.3 = Counter64: 100...

i.e. exactly what I expect (note that the SNMP agent is listening to UDP
port 10000, rather than the usual SNMP port).

When I put the same stuff into a .cfg file, I get the error:
----
SNMP Error:
Received SNMP response with error code
  error status: noSuchName
  index 4 (OID: 1.3.6.1.2.1.1.5.0)
(cut)
----

The target value I am using is:
Target[qwert]: explicitOID1&explicitOID2:readString at routerIP:10000

As far as I can tell, this is the correct syntax for specifying a
non-standard UDP port.

Anybody experience this problem or have any suggestions?

Cheers,

Arthur Dimitrelis
Network Engineer
Telecommunications & Industrial Physics