[mrtg] Specifying Retries

Brian E. Seppanen seppy at chartermi.net
Fri Feb 2 22:42:04 MET 2001

Hello:

I'm monitoring about 4700 targets, and sometimes, with a default retry of
five, I'll sometimes notice graphing stops for other interfaces.  What
I've done to try to head this off is modify SNMP_session.pm to use a
default of 3 retries instead of the default five.   For a couple of
interfaces I want to be able to attempt five retries however.  For those
interfaces that I want to have retry five times I've modified the target
per the documentation with the following syntax public at 192.168.1.0:::5::.
However, this doesn't seem to work as this interface stopped responding
and I get the following error for that interface.

                    timeout: 2s
                    retries: 3
                    backoff: 1)

Where retries should indicate 5.  It could of course be interpreting
correctly, but the error may not show the proper value.  I'm not certain
of which it is.

I'm running this on a redhat linux 7.0 machine, version 2.9.4.

Any ideas, I should probably try to get that from the code I suppose.

Brian Seppanen
Charter Communications
Regional Data Center                            906-228-4226 ext 23
Marquette, MI                                   seppy at chartermi.net

Marquette, MI					seppy at chartermi.net