[mrtg] Bits vs Bytes and MaxBytes

Brian E. Seppanen seppy at chartermi.net
Mon Feb 5 22:17:05 MET 2001

Hopefully a simple question.  Perhaps maybe a really a dumb one though.

I have multiple configs generated by configmaker, which defaults to
bytes/sec (we've since modified that locally).  What we have done is set
up the config files afterwards to use bits.  How does this affect the
MaxBytes setting?  What I mean is MaxBytes for a FastEthernet is set to
12500000 which is the MaxBytes when measured in Bytes, however, when
measured in bits it would be 100000000.  Does MRTG automatically adjust
the MaxBytes?  I haven't really noticed a problem, so I'm assuming mrtg
does, but I'd like confirmation if someone can provide some.  Otherwise
I've got a brown paper bag laying in the corner.

Brian Seppanen
Charter Communications
Regional Data Center				906-228-4226 ext 23
Marquette, MI					seppy at chartermi.net