[mrtg] simple math in mrtg

Ghozlane Toumi gtoumi at professo.net
Wed Feb 7 16:48:33 MET 2001

Hello ,

I'm using net-snmp to monitor cpu usage with MRTG, and the problem I have is
that in the smnp package, I seem to be able to find only CPU idle , CPU user
and CPU system.

I'd like to graph total CPU used (that is user + system +nice , or 100 -
idle) , but i'm not able to make mrtg understand I want him to use 100 - cpu
idle.

So the question is : is this kind of math possible with mrtg ? I know that i
can add snmp values, but can I use constants in the calculations ?

on a related note, i did'nt figure out how /where can i define "shortcuts"
so i can use symbolic names rather than a complete OID in mrtg.conf files
(that is "ssCpuUser.0" rather than  ".1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.11.9.0" or worse,
".iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises.ucdavis.systemStats.ssCpuUser.0")
the mibhelp.txt seems to be only a documentation on already defined
shortcuts , or i didn't figure out where the "real" mibhelp.txt config file
is supposed to be ...

thanks in advance .

Ghoz