[mrtg] Re: Failed mail (fwd)

Patrick Bartkus patrckb at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 9 14:01:31 MET 2001

I've been the victim of one of these errors before. I innocently replied to
a message on another list and then *WHAM* the list was flooded with e-mails
with these kind of e-mail.

The problem was that I only initiated the chain reaction. The problem turned
out to be a broken mail forwarded at another company. The broken mailer kept
sending out of office messages but it mangled the headers sufficiently that
the list mailer thought it was a new message. And they all had MY address as
the originator. The list owner also happened to be on vacation that day so
it took a while to get the domain owner to step in and stop it.

You would not believe the hate mail I got. It was like some people thought I
had personallyspammed them. My name sure was mud on that list for a while.

Don't assume that since it says it is from someone, it is from them. Believe
me, I know.

Patrick
---
Patrick Bartkus, CCNP Certified	Sr. Network Support Analyst
Fleet Mortgage Group		    Columbia, SC
If truth was not absolute, how could there be justice?