[mrtg] Re: HP ProCurve 10BT Problems

Steve Jarrell sjarrell at visualtour.com
Thu Feb 15 21:12:01 MET 2001

>looks a lot like someone just checking their e mail on a port that isn't
>doing anything else...
>try sending a major transfer over it, like a gig or so.
>-dd

Thanks for the response.

Questions, comments...

1. Why would the log be showing octets instead of bytes as indicated in the docs?

2. The hub is processing about 5-600 Kbs constantly. I can monitor the throughput real-time using the monitor that came with the hub, and I can also monitor our firewall real-time and they both agree. Port 1 is connected directly to the Internet connection provided by our ISP, and port two is connected to the firewall which in turn feeds our servers.

The funny thing is that when I monitor port 1 with the monitor provided by HP, it shows very light throughput (.7%, or about 70kbs) while port 2 shows about 4-5% (400-500kbs). Port 3 is also connected, but it's connected to a passive device that doesn't use any bandwidth, however it does show an active connection and MAC address when I view it through HP's tools.

When mrtg configured itself, it didn't map to port 2 because it reported a speed of 0. Something weired is going on, because I don't believe that the numbers that it's reporting on (IfInOctets.1 and IfOutOctets.1 are actually port 1's numbers. I've reached this conclusion for 4 reasons:

1) If you'll notice the figures in the snmp dump below, you'll see that the numbers in column 1 are higher than those in column 2 or the octets. If port 1 was column 1, and port 2 was column 2, column 2 would be higher if the HP tools are reporting correctly.

2) ifSpeed.1 reports a speed of 0. Port 2 is a 10Mbps port that's connected to the firewall

3) There is no ifPhysAddress.2 shown

4) the inoctets and outoctets in the second column are exactly the same. Obviously they aren't reporting what's going on on port 2.

ifDescr.1       "ei0 HP Ethernet Repeater Agent Network Interface"      "lo0 HP Agent Software Loopback Interface"
ifType.1        6       24
ifMtu.1 1500    4096
ifSpeed.1       10000000        0
ifPhysAddress.1 0001e629f9d4    ifPhysAddress.2
ifAdminStatus.1 1       1
ifOperStatus.1  1       1
ifLastChange.1  0       0
ifInOctets.1    2952272 2103084