[mrtg] MRTG newbie

Allen Crawford AllenC at mailcode.com
Fri Feb 16 21:38:20 MET 2001

Ok, I've been doing plenty of reading and seem to be stuck with what I hope
is a simple problem.  Here is my setup and goals:

1 NT 4.0 SP6a server running MS Proxy Server 2.0 and Exchange Server 5.5
1 NT 4.0 SP6a workstation (I'm using this to install Perl and MRTG)

I want to monitor my Internet bandwidth as I'm trying to justify an upgrade
to our existing ADSL line (it is 384Kbps upstream and downstream and I'd
like to bump it up to 768Kbps up and down).  There is no router involved, so
I am assuming I need to monitor my external NIC on the server mentioned
above.

What I've done so far:

*	Installed the SNMP service on the server, changed the community name
to adsl instead of public, re-applied SP6a
*	Followed the instructions at www.wtcs.org/snmp4nt
<http://www.wtcs.org/snmp4nt>  to install SNMP4NT
*	Installed Perl and MRTG on the workstation

Where I'm stuck:

I type the following line at my \mrtg\bin prompt:

Perl cfgmaker adsl at 172.16.0.2 <mailto:adsl at 172.16.0.2>  --global "WorkDir:
d:\mrtghtml" --output exchange.cfg

I replaced the IP address with the internal NIC on the server.  I considered
using the external NIC, but since we are behind the proxy it won't be able
to resolve that IP without going through the proxy.

The output I receive is:

--base: Get Device Info on adsl at 172.16.0.2 <mailto:adsl at 172.16.0.2> :
SNMP Error:
Received SNMP response with error code
   error status: noSuchName
   index 1 (OID: 1.3.6.1.2.1.1.1.0)
SNMPv1_Session (remote host: "172.16.0.2" [172.16.0.2].161)
                              community: "adsl"
                               request ID: 2087985377
                           PDU buffsize: 8000 bytes
                                   Timeout: 2s
                                    Retries: 5
                                   Backup: 1)
SNMPGET Problem for sysDescr sysContact sysName sysLocation sysObjectID on
adsl at 172.16.0.2 <mailto:adsl at 172.16.0.2> :
--base: VendorId:
--base: Populating confcache
--base: Get Interface Info
--base: Walking ifIndex
--base: Walking IfType
--base: Walking ifSpeed
--base: Walking ifAdminStatus
--base: Walking ifOperStatus
--base: Writing exchange.cfg

The contents of the exchange.cfg file just shows the command line I used to
generate the file, nothing for the System, Description, Contact and Location
fields and the only line not rem'd out is "WorkDir: d:\mrtghtml"

So, any suggestions on what to do?

Thanks a lot.

Allen Crawford