[mrtg] Re: Proposal: "Passive" or "Serverized" MRTG. (Instead of collecting it

Bjorn Nordbo bn at nextra.com
Mon Feb 19 15:07:09 MET 2001

Alex van den Bogaerdt wrote:
> Jakob Ilves wrote:
> > However, I've encountered situations where the data gathering cannot be
> > initiated by MRTG, instead, external sources (such as scripts running
> > elsewhere) schedules the data collection.  What I would like to see is
> > that MRTG somehow accept to stay "passive" and let the external sources
> > contact it and tell it "Ok, this target now got these two values".
>
> The MRTG process roughly exists of three parts.  There is a front end
> which
> a) parses the configuration file
> b) collects the statistics
> c) feeds the numbers to a back end (rateup or rrdtool)
>
> What you (IMHO) want is only part c.  If so, just call the back end
> with the proper parameters.

There are at least two problems with using the backend directly:

1. You'll have to make not only a system for collection (the original)
   intention, but also a system for displaying the data.
2. You'll probably end up with a bunch of different systems for doing
   related things.

Wouldn't it be better to have separate configs for collecting and
displaying? I don't think there's much data shared between the pro-
cess of collecting the data and using (graph, print, alarm) them?
Only doodling btw..

--
Bjørn Nordbø  -  IP Development  -  Nextra Norway