[mrtg] MRTG and RRDtool

Sean R McNamara sean.r.mcnamara at villanova.edu
Mon Feb 19 20:02:45 MET 2001

Hello all:

    I have a few questions regarding using MRTG with RRDtool and was
hoping that someone might have run into a similar situation
themselves.   Any help or pointers would of course be greatly
appreciated.   Thanks in advance.

First of all here is the scenario:

    I am currently using RRDtool by means of a script that I wrote to
collect and archive utilization statistics from various routers though
out our network.   I have collected about 6+ months of data in this
fashion.   This is where MRTG comes in: obviously it would be a lot more
efficient to pull stats via SNMP and not to mention I'd be able to
collect a wider range of data than is possible with my telnet based
script.

    So, here's the problem: when I designed the rrds, I initialized them
per switch (with another script) that basically counted though the
number of ports in the device
and initialized a list of variables per port.

        For example:
            a router has n ports, and we wanted to monitor the
statistics for variables named
            rxBytes, txBytes, rxByteRate, txByteRate.   The rrd filename
is generated by
            my script dynamically according to the target IP address;
but for sake of
            argument, lets just call it router.rrd.   So, inside of
router.rrd, we would have
            a database of variables such as:

                rxBytes1
                txBytes1
                txByteRate1
                rxByteRate1
                rxBytes2
                txBytes2
                txByteRate2
                rxByteRate2
                .
                .
                .
                rxBytesn
                txBytesn
                txByteRaten
                rxByteRaten

        (and yes, it's a very large rrd file)

    So, what the problem really comes down to is how to (if it is
possible) have MRTG conform to the above configuration so that I may
continue to use the existing rrds.   If it isn't possible, I believe I
should be able to write a script to parse the MRTG logfiles and import
the data into the rrds; but if there's an easier way, I'd surely like to
explore that first.

    Well, that's pretty much the situation.  Thanks to everyone for
reading through and for any feedback and or suggestions you could
make.   If there are any more details that I can provide to make the
issue a bit more clear, please let me know.    Thanks again.

Best Regards,

..Sean R. McNamara.

UNIT- Data Networks
Villanova University