[mrtg] Re: Daemons and Forks

Chris Marlow marlowc at us.ibm.com
Thu Feb 22 13:14:08 MET 2001

Well, I'm more of an AIX guy than a Linux guy, but here's what generally
happens:

     You look at the .pid file, and kill that parent process...
     Sometimes (Depending on the program running), the children will
realize their parents are dead, go into mourning, and die themselves.....
     Sometimes, the children won't see their parents are dead, and stay up
all night eating cookies and watching TV....

Some suggestions as to what you can do:
     If you want to kill all MRTG processes that are running, look at the
process table, and do a search on "path to MRTG here".  Kill those
processes
     Conversly, if you want to just kill the childred of a parent, whose
PID you have, the process table showes the PID for each process.  Using
that, you can determine which children came from which parent.

Let me know if you need me to get more detailed with the PERL coding

Good luck, happy hunting,

-Chris

-----
Christopher S. Marlow