[mrtg] mechanisms used to get data from remote sites

Mark Rowlands mark.rowlands at minmail.net
Tue Feb 27 14:33:51 MET 2001

Here's a litlle problem not specifically mrtg /rrd related but I think tha
answer is probably known in here.

I have four boxes spread around europe monitoring the response times to 100+
web servers, this data is collected into 4 mysql databases every two minutes
and summary reports mailed out daily and when outages occur. Now the powers
that be have decided that this information is to be graphically represented
in semi real time....(5-10 minutes) is regarded as acceptable lag time.
hardware /processing cycles  is/are not an issue. My main issue is the
mechanism for getting the data back to processing machine. I normally use scp
but with updates every two minutes this could get a bit tricky? I had in mind
maybe accumulating the data for a couple of cyles and then pushing it to the
stats box....comments?