[mrtg] Re: mechanisms used to get data from remote sites

Mark Rowlands mark.rowlands at minmail.net
Tue Feb 27 22:46:15 MET 2001

On Tuesday 27 February 2001 14:49, Alex van den Bogaerdt wrote:

> If possible I would keep the stats local to where they are collected.

they are mysql db

> If necessary the stats for one day can be accumulated and transfered
> to a central site.  If these numbers are entered into rateup(MRTG) or
> RRDtool (also MRTG, or other front ends) in chronological order there
> shouldn't be any problem.

going into rrd

> If decentralized generating the graphs is not an option,

I dont think so,  we would then have to pull the all graphs back to the
central location where they will displayed, this is supposed to be near real
time.

> jus uses the approach for centralized logging as described above.  The only
> thing changing is the amount of transfers.  Personally I think this
> should be avoided, each transfer can fail and I'd rather have a complete
> day to fix than having to roll back any changes (manual editing...)
> and reapplying all updates just to repair one or two small errors.

don't really have to worry about this, the raw data is stored in  mysql dbs
so I can always pull out the data....only the current data is really of
interest for graphing purposes.

Thanks in any case, I think I expressed the problem poorly, the question
should really have been phrased better.

I want to shift a large number of records (produced every 2 minutes) from
multiple sites and graph them really often (every 5 minutes ideally).  130
sites producing  about 16 graphs updating every 5-10 minutes displayed on
four monitors.

I think the approach I will try is to output each 2 minute run to a rotating
file

current file =  	blah
last 	    =	blah.n
last but 1   = 	blah.n+1

....pull  file blah.n*  the to the logging host, process successfully, gzip
and archive ,reset n gzip the data , repeat.

All because the PHBs like pretty pictures.........should never have shown em
the orcallator stuff :-(