[mrtg] SLA monitoring, 95th percentile rule

Swen Wulf swen.wulf at solidsystems.com
Mon Jan 15 23:25:04 MET 2001

Hello,

I am looking for a script/rrd tool or something that can help me to do some
calculating.

We have a SLA in place that says that we will take snapshots of the
bandwidth every 5 minutes over a month. (Hello MRTG !) At the end of the
month, the data will be sorted and the top 5% will be discarded (okay...now
what). The next highest bandwidth snapshot will be taken to calculate a
basis to charge the customers.

Now, we are not talking about "average bandwidth - 5%". We are talking about
a sort of all bandwidth in a month, killing 5% and see that next highest
number as a basis.

I am using currently 14all and rrd on win2k. It all works fine until this
SLA came along. Any ideas ? is RRD storing all the values and I just need to
learn how to program in perl and use the rrd format to get to that data.

Or anybody out there with a similar SLA ?

Thanks a bunch,
Swen
Email: Swen.Wulf at SolidSystems.com