[mrtg] Finding the culprit of my high utilization

Paul C. Williamson pwilliamson at MANDTBANK.COM
Wed Jan 24 20:37:15 MET 2001

Hi all,

I'm monitoring a connection from a router to our internet provider that historically
runs about 5 - 8 % utilization.  We are starting to get spikes on the outbound
side of > 95% for 10 minutes or more.  What are some of the tools I can use
to find the problem?  I've looked through our proxy logs, firewall logs, e-mail
logs and have not been able to find out what is causing it.  I is really driving
me crazy not knowing.  We have plugged a sniffer in, but because of the delay,
the buffer is cleared out before the spike starts to show on the graph.

TIA!

Paul