[mrtg] Re: Crontab or ????

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Fri Jan 26 21:53:27 MET 2001

Today Alan Rader wrote:

 | For those of you running MRTG on Unix boxes and monitoring several hundred
 | devices, do you put an entry into the crontab to run each config file you
 | have every 5 min. or however often or is there some other maybe more
 | efficient way of doing it?
 |
 | I just setup a FreeBSD machine, was using 2000, but firedaemon got corrupt
 | somehow and I could never get it to work again.  I have it working as far as
 | I can tell, just setup one machine to monitor, but I was wondering the best
 | way to go about setting everything else up.  Basically I planned on making
 | separate folders for each device or location for all the html png etc files
 | and then have all the config file in one place thinking this would make it a
 | little easier to manage and find stuff when needed.

the best performance is achieved by running mrtg as a daemon with
forking enabled ... the more routers the higher you should set your
fork count ...

cheers
tobi

 | Thanks
 |

 | Alan Rader
 | Finish Line, Inc.
 | Network Administrator
 | arader at finishline.com
 | 317-899-1022 x3529
 |

 | --

/_  __/_  / /  (_) Oetiker, Timelord & SysMgr @ EE-Dept ETH-Zurich
 / // _ \/ _ \/ / TEL: +41(0)1-6325286  FAX:...1517  ICQ: 10419518
/_/ \.__/_.__/_/ oetiker at ee.ethz.ch http://ee-staff.ethz.ch/~oetiker