[mrtg] Re: Crontab or ????

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Sat Jan 27 09:45:28 MET 2001

Yesterday Martinez, Samson wrote:

 | Is there a recommended or required maximum that forks can be set to?

well there is an overhead with forking ... so you realy must do
some measurements to find the optimum for you ... it depends on the
number of devices in the mrtg.cfg file and on the amount of memmory
in your box ...

for performance it is also HIGHLY recommended to use rrdtool ...

here I am monitoring about 1000 switch ports across 6 devices  in
30 seconds ... without noticable impact on the machine this is
running on ...

cheers
tobi

 | Samson

 |  |
 |  | For those of you running MRTG on Unix boxes and monitoring several
 | hundred
 |  | devices, do you put an entry into the crontab to run each config file you
 |  | have every 5 min. or however often or is there some other maybe more
 |  | efficient way of doing it?
 |  |
 |  | I just setup a FreeBSD machine, was using 2000, but firedaemon got
 | corrupt
 |  | somehow and I could never get it to work again.  I have it working as far
 | as
 |  | I can tell, just setup one machine to monitor, but I was wondering the
 | best
 |  | way to go about setting everything else up.  Basically I planned on
 | making
 |  | separate folders for each device or location for all the html png etc
 | files
 |  | and then have all the config file in one place thinking this would make
 | it a
 |  | little easier to manage and find stuff when needed.
 |
 | the best performance is achieved by running mrtg as a daemon with
 | forking enabled ... the more routers the higher you should set your
 | fork count ...
 |
 | cheers
 | tobi
 |  |