[mrtg] MRTG 2.9.5-7 will not continue running.

Brian E. Seppanen seppy at chartermi.net
Tue Jan 30 17:52:59 MET 2001

Hi:

Maybe I'm doing something stupid but I'm getting exasperated with trying
to upgrade.

Currently we are using 2.9.4 without any problems.  Sure we start it a
little bit oddly, but that's only so we can capture output to a file.

We start it as follows
su - mrtg -c "cd /home/mrtg/log; /usr/bin/nohup /usr/local/mrtg/bin/mrtg /home/mrtg/main.conf"

It starts fine.

So I'm trying to upgrade to 2.9.7 and I have created a new startup script
similar to the redhat startup scripts.

daemon mrtg --user=mrtg --group=mrtg /home/mrtg/main.conf

Ok, so I start it up, and it runs fine, my messages get written to
/var/log/messages which is nice.   It forks like four processes, but one
zombies.  A couple of minutes later there are no mrtg processes, and I've
had nothing graph.  We have our forks set to four.

this has been the scenario since 2.9.5, 2.9.6 and now 2.9.7.  We are
running it on a redhat linux 7.0 machine.

Thanks,

Brian Seppanen
Charter Communications
Regional Data Center				906-228-4226 ext 23
Marquette, MI					seppy at chartermi.net