[mrtg] Re: mrtg for ethernet trafic using ip alias

Daniel J McDonald dmcdonald at digicontech.com
Thu Jul 5 16:26:38 MEST 2001

drk at voyager.net wrote:

>This is a case of RTFM
>
>There is a section on "Interface by IP" in the configuration reference
>on http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/reference.html
>
>This should be what you are looking for I believe

Alas, it is not.  That just allows MRTG to determine a router interface
ifIndex value to be determined by something fixed.

>> I want to monitor ethernet trafic using mrtg.
>> I had already succes in monitor the trafic for some ip number.
>> The problem is that I want to monitor the trafic in the ethernet
>> using ipalias. Can anybody help me with this ?

There are a couple of ways to skin this cat:
1.  use ipchains with a firewall rule of "always allow" and record the
number of hits.
2.  use CAR on a nearby router with a CAR rule of "always allow" and record
the number of hits.
3.  use netflow export and a program like flowscan or cflowd to grab the
information.

I've got a full description of how you would use CAR to do this on a
web-page: http://www.geocities.com/djmcdon1