[mrtg] Strange count problem, please help

Cagri Yucel cyucel at ku.edu.tr
Wed Jul 11 10:29:17 MEST 2001

Dear Admins,

I'm monitoring more that 20 items with Mrtg for quite a long time, but
for 3 items, I experience a very strange problem
of getting 1-4 counts for a counter increasing about 900 in 5 min
interval.

Probably I'm missing a point but could not figure it out, I'll be glad
if you could help with this manner.
------------------------
First, here is my script output monitored manually in 5 min interval:

Wed Jul 11 11:15:27 EET DST 2001
matrix%emirganbroad1
17212033
17212033
1
KUBroadcast
matrix%date
Wed Jul 11 11:20:27 EET DST 2001
matrix%emirganbroad1
17212927
17212927
1
KUBroadcast

*** As you may see we have an increment of about 900 here.

And my config file

Target[broadcast-cit]:`emirganbroad1`
MaxBytes[broadcast-cit]: 10000
Options[broadcast-cit]: growright
YLegend[broadcast-cit]: Number of packets
ShortLegend[broadcast-cit]:
LegendI[broadcast-cit]:  Packets:
LegendO[broadcast-cit]:
Legend1[broadcast-cit]: packets
Legend2[broadcast-cit]:
Legend3[broadcast-cit]:
Legend4[broadcast-cit]:
Title[broadcast-cit]: KU CIT VLAN Broadcast Ratio
PageTop[broadcast-cit]: <H1>KU CIT VLAN Broadcast Ratio</H1>

Though, it is quite simple :(

Finally the log file generated
994839903 17214014 17214014
994839903 4 4 4 4
994839602 2 2 2 2
994839600 2 2 5 5
994839300 4 4 5 5
994839000 4 4 6 6
994838700 5 5 6 6
994838400 3 3 3 3
994838100 3 3 7 7
994837800 6 6 7 7
994837500 5 5 6 6
994837200 3 3 4 4
994836900 3 3 4 4
994836600 3 3 3 3
994836300 3 3 3 3
994836000 3 3 3 3
994835700 2 2 3 3

And I countinuously get a graph around 1-6 while expecting around 900.
Or (900/5)

Thanks in advance for any idea that you may give.

Thanks
cagri