[mrtg] Re: minimizing LOG-files

Paul C. Williamson pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Wed Jul 11 16:07:13 MEST 2001

That's the nice thing about MRTG, the log files never grow.  The first time you run it against a target, it creates the whole shebang (all data points for the 5 minute, 30 minute, 2 hour and 1 day sampling information), and just lets the latest values roll off the data waterfall after about 14 months.  The only way to make the log files smaller is to alter the samples of data that are stored.  Go buy another disk drive.  They are cheap.  The data you collect is not.

Paul

>>> <Ronald.Meier at berlikomm.net> 07/11/01 09:50AM >>>

Hi,

I recognized that the LOG-files are the files witch take most of diskspace
[much bigger than the png's].
All my LOG-files start with a "925xxxxxx" time. This is somewhat in 1999.
[Off course the corresponding traffic values are set to zero.]
Now I would like to minimize diskspace demand without editing each LOG.
Is there a way I can force MRTG to start logging the first time I start it
?
[... and not in 1999 filling up tons of zeros]

TIA !
Ronald M.