[mrtg] Re: PING code

Paul C. Williamson pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Fri Jul 13 14:13:38 MEST 2001

Have you tried Peter Osel's mrtg-ping-probe script?  It's very good, and would probably be easily modified to fit what you wanted to do...

Paul

>>> <awatthey at mmm.com> 07/13/01 06:44AM >>>

Hi,

History
---------
I use MRTG to graph interface statistics.
I have recently added a call to an external perl script which does a few PINGs
and returns the results.

Issue
--------
Because PING is not a good measure of latency in a network (routes differently
and gets thrown away regularly) I wish to use a PERL script to start a session
with a particular port number and graph the results.

Does anyone know of such a program?   Whether it is in PERL or C is immaterial.

All I need it to do it to try and do the connect to an IP address and port
number passed as a parameter.  To time out after 15 seconds and to return me the
time it took (in milliseconds preferably) to establish the connection.

Regards,
Alan.