[mrtg] Re: use MRTG on something else

David Forsyth iwrtech at iwr.ru.ac.za
Tue Jul 17 09:53:17 MEST 2001

On 17 Jul 01 , Mike Koch entreated about
 "[mrtg] Re: use MRTG on something el":

hi mike

} The graph is empty because your script returns 200 and, by default, the
} interval is 5 minutes in MRTG (300 seconds). So, the value is rounded to 0
} (because 200/300 < 1).
}
} So, maybe you are monitoring a gauge, not a counter. So in Options, write
} gauge. This way, you will not have a counter behavior (that is not this /300
} ).
}
} If this is not a gauge, but a real counter, then multiply it by 1000 (for
} example), and write somewhere in the html page that it is in thousandth (do
} we say this word in English ?).

no, that would be 'kilo' (like kilobytes)
a thousandth is when you divide by 1000

another way is to multiply by 300 and not use 'gauge', this way you
get the real values but without the graph climbing forever.  I use
this on my graph of email traffic so that it displays the size of the
incoming and outgoing emails, and not the 'rate' of transfer.

--
       David Forsyth
Principal Technical Officer  -- Institute for Water Research