[mrtg] cfgmaker / mrtg.cfg syntax issue

Doug Young dougy at brizzie.org
Fri Jul 20 11:52:45 MEST 2001

Advice please on whats probably an extremely elementary issue
to someone experienced with mrtg.

I have installed ucd-snmp & mrtg in a FreeBSD 4.3-current system
with 48 Cyclades serial ports with the intention of monitoring traffic
via the ports. All ports have fixed public IPs (or subnets) assigned to
them.

My mrtg.cfg file was made using
"cfgmaker --output=/home/http/mrtg.cfg  public@<somedomain>"
and it appears to be doing what its supposed to, except that the
Description tag simply mentions pppX for each port rather than
giving some clue what specific port it means.

According to man cfgmaker, using something like --ifref=ip should
order the interfaces by IP address, however it gives me an mrtg.cfg
file with only a few of the ports listed.

I guess its possible that the correct cfgmaker string would give the
desired results, however the explanation of the various options is
quite sparse, so its difficult to know what to use. (eg the ifref &
ifdesc options appear to be virtually identical)

I'm not particularly concerned what name is assigned to the ports as
long as its something that allows me to identify which one is which.
Even the pppX system would work if I could figure out how the cfgmaker
works ... eg does it look for the first (lowest numbered) serial port first
/ last (highest numbered) serial port first / first or last in use / totally
random
selection / whatever ??

I did find that ports without active connection were commented out in
mrtg.cfg,
however it was simply a matter of un-commenting / editing to make them give
usage graphs when the modems were in use later.