[mrtg] Re: CPU Usage Win98

Garth Williams garth at netscape.com
Thu Jul 26 18:59:53 MEST 2001

For SNMP, I don't think this is possible without resorting to a third party
SNMP tool (DART SNMP Tool, and Empire SystemEdge comes to mind).  To use
DART you need to be able to program a little, Empire:  not too sure.

However, I have been playing with WMI (Windows Management Instrumentation),
and have had success, (for disk and memory as well), but... BUT...
- It is a vbscript MRTG helper (runs on the target[] line
- requires WMI on both the MRTG poller and the target (obviously)
- requires Windows Scripting Host on the MRTG poller
- is a little slower than an SNMP get would be.
Other than that, there is a WEALTH of info you can pull out of the Win98 box
(some MRTG graph-able (is that a REAL word?), and some not.

Oh yeah.  The installing of WMI on Win98 is not as crystal clear as you
would like!  THERE'S a surprise.  Documentation from MS NOT crystal clear?
Who'd have thought?!  I have amassed a considerable amount of info on WMI,
but it is not yet on my web.

Garth