[mrtg] Question about statistics

Bill bill at catastrophe.net
Wed Jun 6 09:33:16 MEST 2001

Hello -

I'm grabbing TinyDNS statistics by using the following script.

#!/bin/sh

PATH=/usr/bin:/bin

TINYDNSLOG="/var/djbdns/tinydns-internal/log/main/current"

GOOD="`awk '{ print $3 }' $TINYDNSLOG | grep '+' | wc -l`"
BAD="`awk '{ print $3 }' $TINYDNSLOG | grep '-' | wc -l`"

echo $GOOD
echo $BAD
echo "TinyDNS Statistics"
echo ununsed

This returns values such as

42234
43
TinyDNS Statistics
unused

However, as many of you know, TinyDNS writes logfiles such as @439820498203
as they are rotated. My script unfortunately checks for how many good ("+")
and how many bad ("-") lookup attempts there have been.

How would I best graph this in MRTG? After all, if the file gets
overwritten, how would it know that there were x number of hits prior to the
logfile being rotated, etc..

Or if there 's a better way to graph TinyDNS queries, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks!

bill

 --

I'm Bill - what are you?