[mrtg] How does MRTG work?

McClain, Dave mcclad at jacobsons.com
Wed Jun 6 23:21:29 MEST 2001

Hello all

I have been using MRTG with varying amounts of success for about 3 months
now.  I am trying to graph the default in and out octets on Cisco 2500,
2600, and 5500 series routers.  I have frame relay interfaces on the 2500
and 2600 series routers running point to point PVCs to the T-1 controller on
the 5500.

I have generated one config file for all of the routers, and am having
trouble getting any info for the serial ports.  The graphs of the ethernet
ports are showing some activity.

How does MRTG know what OID to use.  I do not see any reference to it in the
config file, and I am wondering what the OID is.  This is fundamental stuff
that I would really like to know.

Thank you

Dave