[mrtg] Re: 100 Pings

Peter W. Osel pwo at infineon.com
Fri Jun 15 04:57:17 MEST 2001

> Does anyone out there have a script that would send 100 pings and then parse
> out of the output:
> Ping statistics for :
>     Packets: Sent = 100, Received = 93, Lost = 7 (7
> Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
>     Minimum = 0ms, Maximum =  63ms, Average =  17ms
>
> 1:  Lost packets
> 2:  Min rt
> 3:  Max rt
> 4:  Average rt

Try mrtg-ping-probe located at

ftp://pwo.de/pub/pwo/mrtg/mrtg-ping-probe/

(try 209.128.93.190 for pwo.de - I am currently debugging yet another
hidden primary DNS server behind a firewall problem :-(  )

mrtg-ping-probe -p max/avg ricochet
	Retrieves the maximum and average round trip time to the host
	ricochet, using the default length and count.

mrtg-ping-probe -p loss/loss ricochet
	Monitors the packet loss for the link to host ricochet

mrtg-ping-probe -k 100 -l 1000 192.168.192.42
	Retrieves the maximum and minimum round trip time to the
	host 192.168.192.42, using 100 1000 data bytes pings.

> if I need to write this up myself then is there going to be a problem with
> the 100 second runtime?  Does MRTG stop the rest of it's processes when
> running an external script?

You might not want to use 100 pings -- each of the above commands will
take 100 * rtt, and you better make sure mrtg can finish its targets
within the default period of 5 minutes.  You could use several config
files and run several mrtg in parallel, to ping targets in parallel
though.

	--pwo

[Slogan of the moment]

"Not that it's devoid of interest now, but it is easier to
introduce new complications than to resolve the old ones."

	-- Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson

--
Peter W. Osel                   Sr. Network & Systems Manager
Infineon Technologies           Email: pwo at Infineon.COM

pgp key fingerprint = 79 2D DD 49 C0 AA D8 CF  2C F9 A5 6A BA 37 0E 28