[mrtg] Re: Modifying SNMP Input Values

Nathan Hand nathanh at manu.com.au
Sun Jun 17 09:07:55 MEST 2001

On Sun, Jun 17, 2001 at 03:47:42PM +1000, Stephen Brennan wrote:

> Hi All,
>
>     Just a quick one. I am monitoring the disk usage on some of our Win2K
> systems however Microsoft only exposes the number of blocks used on a device
> as opposed the bits/bytes, etc. Luckily they also expose the block size in
> bytes as a seperate OID.

This is normal for SNMP.

> I am currently using factor[] to modify values at
> the base of the graph however I want to know if there is anyway of applying
> this "factor" to the graph as well? because at present the values at the
> bottom reflect the correct value I want (~10.8GB) however the graph displays
> the number of blocks (~2.7GB) which is the block size not the byte size I
> need.

You can do this

   Target[disk]: hrStorageUsed.1&hrStorageSize.1:public at host *
   hrStorageAllocationUnits.1&hrStorageAllocationUnits.1:public at host

The only problem doing it this way is you can easily exceed the MAX_LONG
limit inside mrtg's rateup tool (that's the C program that logs data and
creates the graphics) if your disks are too big.

--
The more I know about the WIN32 API the more I dislike it. It is complex and
for the most part poorly designed, inconsistent, and poorly documented.