[mrtg] A Simple SNMP FAQ

Roy Rapoport rsr at aegsys.com
Tue Jun 19 23:00:43 MEST 2001

I've been using MRTG for a while now, in pretty basic capacities.  I'm
looking to understand a little more the SNMP layer.  As an example, I don't
necessarily understand well what OIDs are, how MIBs relate to OIDs and how,
for example, I can find out what the OID for a given measured quantity on a
given device is (e.g. measuring temperature on a 3620).  I can, of course,
ask on the list for OIDs, but that seems like a waste of people's times.

So does anyone have a basic SNMP faq they can point me to? I'd love to
RTFM.

-roy