[mrtg] Re: A Simple SNMP FAQ

Josh Goldfarb jgoldfarb at KodiakComputer.com
Wed Jun 20 01:30:21 MEST 2001

Roy.

My best advice would be to get a copy of a book called Understanding
SNMP MIBs by david perkins

Get it on Half.com for very cheap.. List is $71.00 but you should be
able to find it really cheap.. That is the best to my knowledge. If
anyone on the list wants to add some ideas please feel free to
Thanks
Josh

-----Original Message-----
From: Roy Rapoport [mailto:rsr at aegsys.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 19, 2001 5:01 PM
To: mrtg at list.ee.ethz.ch
Subject: [mrtg] A Simple SNMP FAQ

I've been using MRTG for a while now, in pretty basic capacities.  I'm
looking to understand a little more the SNMP layer.  As an example, I
don't necessarily understand well what OIDs are, how MIBs relate to OIDs
and how, for example, I can find out what the OID for a given measured
quantity on a given device is (e.g. measuring temperature on a 3620).  I
can, of course, ask on the list for OIDs, but that seems like a waste of
people's times.

So does anyone have a basic SNMP faq they can point me to? I'd love to
RTFM.

-roy