[mrtg] Re: SNMP walk

Justin Shore listuser at neo.pittstate.edu
Thu Jun 21 21:43:05 MEST 2001

You can snmpwalk a device if you're on that subnet but not if you're
on another subnet?  Have you sniffed the traffic to see if you're
getting a response from the switch?  Perhaps it does have a route
back to you or perhaps an ACL only permitts queries from the local
subnet.  We use private IPs for all of our network hardware that
doesn't rewrite packets (ie all but routers), which means we have to
locally route private subnets to access them from anywhere other than
physically on that subnet.  Make sense?

HTH
   Justin

At 11:08 AM -0700 6/21/01, Mike Singleton wrote:
>What would cause me to be unable to browse across a subnet for SNMP
>information?? We run Cisco switches here.
>

>===
>Mike Singleton CCNA, CNE, MCSE
>Network Analyst
>(253) 272-1916  x1259
>msingle at davita.com
>
>DaVita Inc.
>

>--

Justin Shore                    Pittsburg State University
Systems Manager                 Kelce 157Q
Office of Information Systems   Pittsburg, KS 66762
Voice: (316) 235-4606           Fax: (316) 235-4545
http://www.pittstate.edu/ois/

Warning:  This message has been quadruple Rot13'ed for your protection.