[mrtg] packet-loss script

Edgardo Mina edgardo at staff.singnet.com.sg
Mon Jun 25 08:02:46 MEST 2001

hi guys, need your help, im just wondering why is it that i am not getting
the right data, which i expect, its liked this ha.
I created a scripts which gets the packet-loss of a certain IP address then
graphs it by green as the packet received and the blue one as the
packet-loss. in other words I get the result ping icmp-ping response and
the grab the packet-loss as in
so by subtracting 100 from packet-loss (which 0), i should be getting 100
for packet received. my scripts is giving this output for the mrtg to
graph. and i call this script on the target.

# packet-loss.pl 10.10.10.1
100
0
#

to check whether its OK is that i should get a summation of 100 on
packet-received plus the packet-loss, in my created log files the data are
correct but when i checked in the 10.10.10.1.log, the result is something
different, for sometime it gives the right output

993398400 15 85 15 85  ---- summation is correct (getting the right graph)
993398100 15 85 15 85
993397800 15 85 15 85
993397500 15 85 15 85
993397200 31 68 43 85  ---- but this one is not equal to 100
993396900 35 64 43 85
993396600 31 68 43 85
993396300 35 64 43 85
993396000 15 85 15 85
993395700 15 85 15 85
993395400 15 85 15 85
993395100 15 85 15 85
993394800 15 85 15 85
993394500 15 85 15 85
993394200 15 85 15 85

do i need to change some source code on the mrtg script or what should be
my output on my script to graph it correctly giving the right data on the
log of the mrtg. if someone is interested you can ask for the script to me.

regards,
edgardo