[mrtg] ip accounting

KAUSHIK B (NETWORKING) kaushik at tatatechnologies.com
Fri Jun 29 06:10:10 MEST 2001

 I want to do ip accounting of my internet link by placing a linux box in
promisc mode
on the same segment as the firewall so that i can do plot graphs  per
protocol  using mrtg .
 I intended to do this by running ipchains and then reading the counters of
each of the rules.

 I am presently using redhat 7.0 linux 2.2-16 . I rules worked for all the
packets either originating
or ending on the linux box but it did not read all the packets of the
segement.

I read that ip accounting has to be specifically enabled in the kernel.
I went through xconfig and but couldn't get the option for ip accounting .

Though i did compile the kernel again ver 2.4.4 but it doesnt seem to be
working .
Suggestions are  most welcome .

regards
kaushik