[mrtg] Re: oid's for Cisco and Sun servers

Patrick Bartkus patrckb at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 7 22:38:07 MET 2001

Vasudev,
Here are a few options for structuring the monitoring:
1) Put everything in one big mrtg.cfg. The problem is that you cannot change
"global" values in mid-cfg file. So if you want some devices to have a
different WorkDir: then you have to have two seperate .cfg files, you cannot
change WorkDir: in the same .cfg file.
2) Have different .cfg files that are run by mrtg at different minutes from
cron.
Part of my crontab:
3,8,13,18,23,28,33,38,43,48,53,58 * * * * /usr/local/mrtg-2/bin/mrtg
/files0/httpd/htdocs/mrtg/cls_plus.cfg
4,9,14,19,24,29,34,39,44,49,54,59 * * * * /usr/local/mrtg-2/bin/mrtg
/files0/httpd/htdocs/mrtg/compass.cfg
3) Have different shell scripts that are run from cron. In those shell
scripts, you can run any number of mrtg jobs.
Again, part of my crontab:
0,5,10,15,20,25,30,35,40,45,50,55 * * * * /usr/local/bin/flo-mrtg.ksh
1,6,11,16,21,26,31,36,41,46,51,56 * * * * /usr/local/bin/cae-mrtg.ksh

As for learning more about network management in general, check out:
http://net-snmp.sourceforge.net/FAQ.html#Where_can_I_find_more_information_about_network_management_

Enjoy & good luck!
Patrick
---
Patrick Bartkus, CCNP Certified	Sr. Network Support Analyst
Fleet Mortgage Group		    Columbia, SC
If truth was not absolute, how could there be justice?