[mrtg] Re: updating and moving servers 2.8.12 -> 2.9.10

Paul C. Williamson pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Thu Mar 8 14:36:50 MET 2001

Thomas,

I would install mrtg on the linux box and make sure it runs.  Then right after
mrtg updates the log files on the old box, stop mrtg on that box, move thel
 og and old files over, and fire up mrtg on the new box.  Downtime is
handled as a missed poll, so if you do it quick enough, nothing will be
missed.  Don't worry about the html or gif or png files, they will be
automatically recreated.

That script is very cool.  I've been using it for a little bit now.  I've got to
figure out how I can link that off of my top ten one, but that's another
project for another day.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Paul

>>> Thomas Silcox <tsilcox at maxlink.com> 03/07/01 10:54PM >>>

Any advice on moving mrtg from a sun server over to an x86 Linux box?

I've got 2.8.12 on the sun box with 5 sub directories for citys.
I'm moving to a fresh pc box with linux 7.0, apache and mrtg 2.9.10.

How do I co-ordinate timing in the move?  How does mrtg handle "down time"
durning the move?

While I'm doing the move, I'd like to
- impliment a "top 10" using a script from another listee, below.

- also a total script from http://iserv.nl/traffic/totaal/ or
http://www.geocities.com/josef_wendel/mrtg_total.html

- install ms frontpage extentions to apache to allow some quicker html
enhancements for the entire web interface

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I have some scripts that were given to me by another listee, I can't
remeber who though.  It does the following:

- scans through the html files in a single directory and picks out
average in and out
- adds them together and sorts them based on percentage
- produces an html page with the top x number of "talkers"
for that time period

I have hacked the scripts to do some other stuff, and I run cron
jobs to produce the following:

Hourly
Top inbound talkers
Top outbound talkers
Top total talkers

Daily
Same as above
but I also move the previous day's rankings to an archive folder
and rename it day+in, day+out, and day+total.

Let me know if you'd like them and I'll p-mail them to you.

Paul