[mrtg] OT : Perl, Threads, Signal Processing, and More!

Jason Frisvold Jason.Frisvold at corp.ptd.net
Mon Mar 12 20:31:58 MET 2001

Hello all,

	First let me apologize for the Off Topic post.  This will be the
only one I make regarding this topic.  I promise.

	Now on to the fun stuff.  I tried looking for a relevant Perl
mailing list for this, but alas, I came up empty handed.  If anyone knows of
one, please let me know!  :)

	I'm writing a rather large system for network monitoring.  I know
packages already exist, I can't use them.  This needs to be a completely
custom implementation..   Anyways, I'm looking for information on how to use
threads and IPC in perl.  Preferably someone who has experience with them
and is willing to submit him/herself to a deluge of questions regarding
them.

	More specifically, I'm looking to create a Parent/Child setup using
threads (or another mechanism if possible) that will allow communication
between threads via the parent, and also allow me to "inject" information
into the process via some mechanism such as TCP, UDP, or Signal Processing.
I have quite a few ideas on how to make this work, but information regarding
Threads and IPC is pretty sparse and definitely not geared towards a
relative newbie...

	Anyways, if you fit the bill and are willing to answer my questions,
please email me.

Thanks!

Jason H. Frisvold
Senior ATM Engineer