[mrtg] close: Bad file descriptor

Matthew Moore (DSL AK) MattM at datacom.co.nz
Tue Mar 13 04:26:17 MET 2001

Hi,

I have been using mrtg v2.8.12 + rrdtool and 14all for a while, and
everything collects and graphs fine. However for every target I get a
"close: Bad file descriptor" error (the rrd logs are updating correctly
however, but these errors are annoying). I've now upgraded to v2.9.10, but
the same errors persist.

My config is as follows:

#-----------------------------------------------
WorkDir: x:
LogFormat: rrdtool
PathAdd: c:/rrdtool/src/tool_release
LibAdd: /rrdtool/perl-shared
PageTop[_]: -
Target[x.x.x.x.y.y.y.y]: /y.y.y.y:public at x.x.x.x
AbsMax[x.x.x.x.y.y.y.y]: 32000
MaxBytes[x.x.x.x.y.y.y.y]: 32000
Directory[x.x.x.x.y.y.y.y]: network\x.x.x.x
Title[x.x.x.x.y.y.y.y]: Router A
#-----------------------------------------------

and the error is as follows:

SNMP Error:
close: Bad file descriptor
SNMPv1_Session (remote host: "x.x.x.x" [x.x.x.x].161)
                  community: "public"
                 request ID: 1257706119
                PDU bufsize: 8000 bytes
                    timeout: 2s
                    retries: 5
                    backoff: 1)

Note: I've changed the IP addresses to x.x.x.x and y.y.y.y to protect the
innocent...

So, can anyone say what this "close: Bad file descriptor" error is, and how
would I get rid of it? I found one person with this same error in the
archives on 22/10/00, but there were no fixes for it.

Regards,
Matt Moore