[mrtg] Re: Firewall

Purvis, William William.Purvis at compaq.com
Mon Mar 19 23:16:53 MET 2001

Hi Tom:
	MRTG does not use TCP natively.  MRTG uses SNMP which uses UDP port
161.  UDP is a connectionless protocol (i.e. send and forget).  With most
secure organizations, they do not let SNMP go through a firewall.  Therefore
you might want to consider putting a system outside the firewall and having
the MRTG collect from the untrusted side.  Otherwise, if you want to have
SNMP traffic across your firewall, you will need to open up UDP port 161
(and 162 if your receiving any traps).  If you want to proxy this, then you
will need to configure MRTG with either the real IP Address of the router or
the proxied (NATed) address.

Regards,

William Reid Purvis
Compaq Professional Services,
ITP - Infrastructure & Technology Planning Group