[mrtg] MRTG 2.9.10 problem - WARNING: Expected a number but got

mbreton at geiger.com mbreton at geiger.com
Tue Mar 20 21:36:32 MET 2001

I'm not sure what changed, but I was using MRTG 2.9.4 and just upgraded to
2.9.10.  I have a CFG file that I have been using flawlessly with 2.9.4
that is monitoring hundreds of variables.  MRTG is running  on a PII 350
with 256Mb RAM and ample Hard disk space running RedHat 7.0.  Since the
upgrade, for every query sent to our AS/400 locally (I know the AS/400
responds to SNMP queries slowly), it gets the message as follows...

SNMP Error:
no response received
SNMPv1_Session (remote host: "IPADDR" [IPADDR].161)
                  community: "public"
                 request ID: 1099647252
                PDU bufsize: 8000 bytes
                    timeout: 2s
                    retries: 5
                    backoff: 1)
SNMPGET Problem for ifInOctets.2 ifOutOctets.2 sysUptime sysName on public at IPADDR
WARNING: Expected a number but got
WARNING: Expected a number but got

(Yes, the message on the bottom appears more than once)

Everything else works fine.   Even when I was using 2.9.4, there would be
an occasional "no response received" from the AS/400, but there would not
be that warning message.

I don't know if the timeouts for how long to wait for the SNMP replies has
been reduced???

Anybody else having this problem???  Did you fix it?  How?

Michael Breton
Geiger
(207) 755-2338