[mrtg] Re: cfgmaker troubles

Roth, Gabrielle gabrielle.roth at xo.com
Wed Mar 21 17:04:09 MET 2001

> >However, when I use the --ifdesc=alias option
> > to set the interface description, it will only use the
> >first 72 characters
> > of the description.

> The limit is imposed somewhere and my gut feeling is that it
> *might* be the SNMP
> agent on the Cisco box itself which only provides the first
> 72 characters of the
> description.  But that's just a gut feeling, it have to be
> verified by testing
> and experimenting.

Your gut feeling is correct.

There are two places you can get the description field:
ifMIB.ifMIBObjects.ifXTable.ifXEntry.ifAlias (1.3.6.1.2.1.31.1.1.1.18) and
cisco.local.linterfaces.lifTable.lifEntry.locIfDescr
(1.3.6.1.4.1.9.2.2.1.1.28)

IME ifAlias truncates the description at 64 characters.  You could use the
cisco locIfDescr and get the whole string, but you won't see info about
frame or ethernet sub-interfaces, as they are not supported in that mib.
I've been around and around with Cisco about this and their final answer was
pretty much "That's the way it is, we have no plans to change, deal with
it."

-gr