[mrtg] Mrtg&RRDtool on Debian-SID

Gabriel Lorenzo needle at arrakis.es
Thu May 3 22:34:59 MEST 2001

Hi there.

This is my first post on the List, so please excuse me if Im asking some old
stuff...

   I have been using Mrtg 2.8.9 on my Debian Potato for quite a while now.
Monitoring mostly Cisco Routers and Access Servers.
After a little bit research on the web I found many good  articles
mentioning the RRDTool.
So I decided to create a separate Test Box, to see what It can do.The only
way I found to install Mrtg 2.9.10 on Debian,
was to update the distributions to (SID-unstable), maybe there was/is an
easier way to install 2.9 on Potato???
(By the way....I would really apreciate If someone can tell me how to
upgrade Mrtg 2.8.9 to 2.9.10 on potato without
upgrading to SID)

Instalation went good. I created a Cisco.cfg file, in /var/ww/mrtg/   with:

        cfgmaker   public at 10.5.2.1 > Cisco.cfg

I added ---> LogFormat: rrdtool   to the Cisco.cfg file. (and the WorkDir of
course)

After that I run mrtg /var/www/mrtg/Cisco.cfg

perfect! it created 4 .rrd files in the same directory (4 active interfaces
of the router)

I downloaded the 14all-1.1.cgi into my /usr/lib/cgi-bin/ directory and gave
it the right permissions

I edited the Cgi file and pointed the line reffered $cfgfile =
/var/www/mrtg/Cisco.cfg

So far so good. Mrtg is in the Crontab running every 5 minutes , so i
decided to start my browser.

Unbelivable! I pointed the browser to
http://localhost/cgi-bin/14all-1.1.cgi/  and voila!   I got my new Mrtg Html
page.
But wait a minute,hum? no graph line? ok so I wait a little bit ,But after
15 minutes pointing again, there is no result. I got the Maze with no
Graph on it, there is also no Max or Min number . What am I missing?Did I
forgot something to Add to the Cisco.cfg??

                Thanks to all in advance, I would apreciate any Help.

            Gabriel.