[mrtg] monitoring port 1352

Donald Mahler dmahler at telcordia.com
Tue May 8 20:40:26 MEST 2001

This sounds like you just need to make sure that a port is up and running
remotely.   In other words, make sure that lotus notes server has port 1352
up and it is accepting connections.   This is a reasonable way to cheaply
make sure that notes is working.

I personally would not use mrtg for this, as these are not SNMP things you
are checking and mrtg is better at snmp polling and graphing.

If you have a little money, IPMonitor can do this for you
http://www.mediahouse.com/ipmonitor/ . other vendor products can also do
this.

if not, and you have programming skills, write a perl or c code that will
open a client socket connections to port xxxx, and report back if the
connection is accepted, sending an alert to your alert management system.

Don Mahler
Telcordia