[mrtg] Re: monitoring port 1352

James H. Page jpage at telcordia.com
Tue May 8 22:20:02 MEST 2001

solaris has a command called "mconnect" that may do what you are looking
for

see partial man page below

might need to use a "here document" structure in a shell script to send an
EOF to break

also sending a port # of 80 is a quick and dirty way to see if a WWW server
is listening on port 80

jim page

---------------------

   NAME
        mconnect - connect to SMTP mail server socket

   SYNOPSIS
        mconnect [ -p port ] [ -r ] [ hostname ]

   DESCRIPTION
        mconnect opens a connection to the mail server  on  a  given
        host,  so  that  it can be tested independently of all other
        mail software.  If no host is given, the connection is  made
        to  the local host.  Servers expect to speak the Simple Mail
        Transfer Protocol (SMTP) on this connection.  Exit by typing
        the  quit  command.   Typing EOF sends an end of file to the
        server.  An interrupt closes the connection immediately  and
        exits.