[mrtg] Re: Adding New Clients

Matt Walkowiak mwalkowi at intxx.com
Wed May 16 16:05:33 MEST 2001

This is slightly off topic, but when I need to be an expert at a new
technology NOW, I grab a spare computer and build from the ground up an
exact replica of the original computer.  Try to get everything exactly the
same.  There are many benefits to learning this way.
1)	There is no better way to learn than doing it yourself.
2)	Once you know and understand how to build what is there now, you can
much more easily add and remove items.
3)	If anything breaks, you will have a chance at fixing it.  If you
just modify what someone else built, that is the only skill set you will
have.
And the most important...
4)	if you build it, its YOURS, not the old sys admin's.  Maybe you are
a much better HTML programmer than your predecessor and have better ideas on
how to display the output of MRTG.  Everybody's MRTG output looks different.

The only down side is that it takes a long time.  But believe me in the long
run, it's worth it.

Anyway, I've seen it happen way too many times where a system just sits
there doing its job, then one day POW it dies.  Then it turns out the system
that just died was where all the reports come from for billing, and for the
next 15 days no reports get done cause no one knows or even understood the
system.  Not a fun time.
And as you learn MRTG or any new technology, please, DOCUMENT THE HECK OUTTA
IT!  Wouldn't you have been happier if the old sysadmin did that?

And ask 'em if ya got 'em!
Laters...