[mrtg] Re: Monitoring Gigabit Ethernet ports...

Lars Holmström lars.holmstrom at flysta.net
Fri May 18 20:35:44 MEST 2001

This has been discussed on this list before.

One limitation to keep in mind is that the default configuration file generated
by MRTG cannot accurately measure bandwidth above about 114 Mbps (Megabits per
second). The reason is that the default interface counter is a 32-bit number,
and a 32-bit number will rollover twice in a period of 5 minutes at more than
114 Mbps. (232 = 4,294,967,296 bytes, multiplied by 8 (bits in a byte), divided
by 300 seconds in 5 minutes, is 114,532,641 bits per second, or roughly 114
Mbps.) MRTG or any other SNMP program cannot correctly account for a double
rollover. The graph will appear to peak at about 114 Mbps and never go beyond
that, when in reality the interface could be running well beyond that rate. To
get around this, you must change the configuration file to pole a special 64-bit
interface counter, or poll MRTG more frequently than 5 minutes.

I do not believe the SSR has 64 bit counters.

/Lars