[mrtg] Re: a question about SNMP ver2

Patrick Bartkus patrckb at hotmail.com
Wed May 23 14:23:33 MEST 2001

Payman wrote:

>I would like to monitor the traffic on a Cisco Localdirectors running SNMP
>ver2. Even though I used (--snmp-options=::1:1::2) as part of the option
>still
>I am getting the following error :
>
>SNMP Error:
>no response received
>SNMPv2c_Session (remote host: "63.70.210.56" [63.70.210.56].161)

Payman,

You don't mention if you have tried using any other tool to coax SNMP V2
replies from the LD.

The LD is notorious for being tricky to setup. Getting it to respond to SNMP
is one of those sticky wickets. For example, you have to tell the LD to
expect SNMP requests from specific hosts using the "snmp-server host
xx.xx.xx.xx" statment.

So the first question is, Does it respond if you query it with
snmpwalk/getif from your MRTG box?

HTH,
Patrick
---
Patrick Bartkus, SCP, CCNP Certified	Sr. Network Support Analyst
Fleet Mortgage (soon to be Wash. Mutual)    Columbia, SC
If truth was not absolute, how could there be justice?