[mrtg] Re: [mrtg-developers] Blocking Outages

Garry W. Cook garry at cookbros.net
Fri May 25 01:34:14 MEST 2001

I have also experienced this problem, since switching to a single mrtg
daemon process for all 75 of my routers. Originally I forked the process
into 12 instances, and after experiencing the problem, I have tried forking
into 32 instances and the problem still occured.

Previously, I had the the 75 routers split into 5 different regions, with a
seperate process forking into 4 instances for each region. If two or more
routers went down in a single region, the entire mrtg process for that
region would usually die, causing me to lose all data. Although the process
would survive if I only lost one router.

In both instances, I have a cron job that runs every five minutes checking
for the mrtg process(es), and restarting if necessary. However, the process
will start and then die again when it reaches the outage.

Today I tried your suggestion about modifying the SNMP retry attempts,
although I could not get the SnmpOptions global parameter to work correctly.
Has anyone had success with this?

I have just increased the number of forks to 48. We'll see what happens the
next time there is a router down.

Garry W. Cook
garry at cookbros.net
303.359.8322