[mrtg] Re: 114 Mbps: Strange grpahs

Guðmundur Ö. Ingvarsson gudmundur.ingvarsson at islandssimi.is
Fri May 25 12:25:02 MEST 2001

Well.. I tried putting an AbsMax at far beyond the maximum capacity for the
lines.

This seems only to happen on my 2 45MB connections and the ATM connections
ranging
from 155 Mb to 622Mb.

How do I change the bits to this 64-bit special.

Kveðja / Regards

======================================
Guðmundur Örn Ingvarsson
Chief technician of daily operations /
Rekstrarstjóri á rekstrarborði
Íslandssími hf
Web Site - http://www.islandssimi.is
E-Mail - gudmundur.ingvarsson at islandssimi.is
Buisness phone - +354 595 5074
Mobile phone - +354 820 5074
======================================

                    George Nease
                    <George.Nease at dig        To:     mrtg at list.ee.ethz.ch
                    .com>                    cc:
                    Sent by:                 Subject:     [mrtg] 114 Mbps: Strange grpahs
                    mrtg-bounce at list.
                    ee.ethz.ch

                    05/24/2001 16:13

Lars Holmström recently covered this pretty well, so I'll quote him; it
perfectly describes what we are seeing here (and maybe what you're seeing),
and why we're converting to RRD:

"One limitation to keep in mind is that the default configuration file
generated
by MRTG cannot accurately measure bandwidth above about 114 Mbps (Megabits
per
second). The reason is that the default interface counter is a 32-bit
number,
and a 32-bit number will rollover twice in a period of 5 minutes at more
than
114 Mbps. (232 = 4,294,967,296 bytes, multiplied by 8 (bits in a byte),
divided
by 300 seconds in 5 minutes, is 114,532,641 bits per second, or roughly 114
Mbps.) MRTG or any other SNMP program cannot correctly account for a double
rollover. The graph will appear to peak at about 114 Mbps and never go
beyond
that, when in reality the interface could be running well beyond that rate.
get around this, you must change the configuration file to pole a special
64-bit
interface counter, or poll MRTG more frequently than 5 minutes."

(by Lars Holmström [lars.holmstrom at flysta.net])